This week’s best bits from around the web.
– American intelligence and torture: A hard pill to swallow
– Oil gluts, late-1970s style
– Falling Gas Prices Are Fantastic. Unless You’re Tesla
– Uber Just Landed Another Billion Dollars. It’s Not Going Anywhere
– The War of the Words: Amazon’s war with publishing giant Hachette over e-book pricing has earned it a black eye in the media
– Trial by fire: From fire-walking to the ice-bucket challenge, ritual pain and suffering forge intense social bonds
– Super excited: Does relentless enthusiasm really help the world, or should generation TED learn to take a more sceptical view?
– Colin Furze: Inside the Mind of an Inventor
– It’s official: Instagram is bigger than Twitter
– Why Kids Won’t Quit Technology